The household cleansers you use to make your house spotlessly clean are loaded with various toxins. These toxins are utilized in all the household cleansers to make them more effective, and to add a fragrance in them. Majority of us choose cleansers that have a pleasant fragrance. However, these are the ones with the most toxic elements. Would you want to use these cleaning products around yourself, your family, and your pets? The main problem is that consumers aren’t fully aware about the dangers these toxic ingredients poses.
What Is Lurking Under Your Kitchen Sink?
It is essential for you to understand what exactly your cleaning products are made of and what hazards they can cause. According to research, there are negative effects of not only the active ingredients but also the inactive ingredients. These can affect your reproduction system, central nervous system, and other important bodily systems. Consumers are usually clueless about the hazards of the cleansers they are using. Furthermore, the information present in the labels of these products is too scientific for consumers to understand.
To make things simple, there are three main categories in which majority of the dangerous toxic ingredients present in household cleansers come under:
- Neurotoxins – they alter neurons which affect your brain activity, leading to a variety of problems ranging from headaches to intellect loss.
- Endocrine disruptors – these imitate human hormones resulting in false signals that confuse the body. These increase the risk of health concerns like behavioral, growth, developmental, and reproductive problems. These are also linked to ADHD, unusual prostate size, damage to the immune system, menstrual problems, miscarriage, premature puberty, reduced fertility, and cancers.
- Carcinogens – these increase the chances of elevated cancer growth.
Chemicals In The Household Cleansers
There are many toxic chemicals present in your household cleansers. The four main toxins include:
The same elements that are meant to disinfect the place are the most dangerous ones. Even though disinfecting our houses is good for health, majority of the disinfectants are pesticides, which include endocrine disruptors and carcinogens. These are tricky to destroy once ingested.
These are surfactants. Their main purpose is to decrease the liquid’s surface tension, allowing it to spread more easily on the surface to be cleaned. APEs are endocrine disruptors and are usually found in sanitary towels, disinfectants, and detergents.
This is typically known as preservative. It is carcinogen and is also a fungicide, bactericide, and germicide. It poses various health hazards and is present in most of the disinfectants and household cleansers.
This is a mixture of carbon and hydrogen. These are bioaccumulative and can be deadly. Organochlorines are endocrine disruptors and carcinogens. These are usually found in bleaches, de-greasers, and detergents.
These toxics present in majority of the household cleansers can give way to major health concerns, including:
- Birth defects
- Mood swings
- Decreased motor skills
- Low sperms count
- Premature puberty
- Memory loss
- Allergy attacks
- Stiff joints
- Backache and headache
What Can You Do
It is best to avoid using these household cleansers and adopt a greener and safer approach to promote a healthy environment for all. A great place to research for less toxic cleaners is EWG.org.
I use Branch Basics for most of my cleaning needs. Check out their basic kit of concentrated cleaner.
My latest resource book is Suzanne Somers’ new book Tox-Sick. It has been an eye opener but without the scare tactics.