I found a great article about the differences between Whey Isolate and Concentrate.
Food Matters breaks it down why Whey Concentrate trumps Isolate.
Most commercial whey protein powders are made from protein isolate, which means that it goes through more processing and filtering.
The manufacturers like to claim that this results in almost pure protein content, which they say makes it a better product.
The problem is that the extra filtering and processing removes a good deal of the important immune factors from the whey protein.
Whey isolates remove the fat, which actually removes important components of its immunological properties, such as phospholipids, phosphatidylserine and cortisol.
Additionally, all of the IgG immunoglobulins, which are an excellent source of glutamine and cysteine, are also bound to the fat globule.
Fat provides not just calories. In fact, most food rich in healthful fat, including nuts, seeds, chia, and almonds are carriers of antioxidants, such as vitamin E and phytosterols.
Dairy also contains lipoic acid, which is a carrier of enzymes and immunoglobulin.
Therefore, if you take the fat out you’re left with a clearly inferior whey protein. That’s why it’s important to select a protein concentrate over a protein isolate product to receive the maximum health benefits.
Read The Full Article: Food Matters
The Health Benefits Of RAW Grass-Fed Whey Protein CONCENTRATE
Raw whey protein concentrate has been found to have a variety of health benefits, including:
- Helping your insulin work more effectively, which helps maintain your blood sugar level after a meal — This is important as research suggests lowering your blood sugar levels after meals may be more beneficial for your health than lowering fasting blood sugars.
- Promoting healthy insulin secretion, which is imperative for optimal health. This is one of the foremost reasons for avoiding sugars and grains, as overconsumption of grains and sugary foods has a negative impact on both, and is a prime factor in developing type 2 diabetes.
- Helping to promote your optimal intake of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals needed for your overall wellness
- Supporting your immune system, as it contains immunoglobulins
- Helping you preserve lean body tissue (particularly during exercise) as it delivers bioavailable amino acids and cysteine
- Maintaining blood pressure levels that are already within the normal range
Whey Protein Concentrate I Use
I’ve used many protein supplements over the years and I didn’t know that concentrate was better until the last few years.
Interestingly, now that we use Whey Concentrate exclusively both David and I maintain our body weight and muscle much easier.
The last 5 years we’ve been using the protein supplements from Isagenix.
We enjoy either the IsaPro Whey Supplement (get it here)and the Isalean Meal Replacement Shake (get it here) on daily basis.