Getting car sick can quickly ruin a road trip.
Obviously, I don’t have to spell out the specifics but if you or a family member gets car sickness you understand how miserable it can feel.
My daughter gets car sick or what some people call motion sickness.
It starts slow and if we don’t pull out her oils she ends up feeling like she wants to vomit.
Do you get that way or have a child who does?
Before you reach for the over the counter medications for you or your child let’s take a look at how essential oils might help.
Why Use Essential Oils For Car Sickness, Nausea, and Motion Sickness
Essential oils are powerful natural remedies that can help ease nausea from being in a car, boat, or plane.
The great thing about oils is that you can customize them to help all your family members.
What works for my daughter is a few whiffs of peppermint essential oil.
My friend does better with ginger essential oil.
Most people need to experiment to find what works best for them.
If individual oils don’t work then potentially a blend of oils will work better.
Keep reading for individual oils and recipe blends you can have ready to try the next time someone in your family needs it.
Still need essential oils? Simply Earth has a wide variety of oils and an amazing subscription box. Check them out here.
How To Use Essential Oils For Motion Sickness
Inhaling these oils deeply can quickly help settle the stomach down and get some relief.
The oils can be inhaled straight from the bottle, few drops in your hands, on a cotton ball, in a car diffuser(like this one), or in a DIY inhaler (see directions below).
If inhaling alone doesn’t work try dabbing on the oils on your wrist, behind the ears, and/or stomach.
For children, try placing their favorite oil on their blanket or on the bottoms of their feet.
4 Best Essential Oils That Help With Motion Sickness
Let’s start with a few individual oils that are known to help with nausea and motion sickness.
This is a short list because many oils can help but start with these or the ones mentioned in the recipes.
First, try the individual oils. If they don’t work, try combining them.
It will take some troubleshooting until you find what works.
This is the first oil to try because it is the most popular for helping ease stomach issues.
Your mom might have brought out the ginger ale when you were a kid to help your stomach, right? Ginger works the same way by supporting a healthy digestive system, especially when experiencing nausea.
This spicy and warm essential oil is in many of the blends used to help car sickness.
You’ve probably heard how this oil can help you sleep that’s because most people find the scent very calming.
Car and Motion Sickness Essential Oil Recipes
Blank Nasal Inhaler Tubes
You can add these oils to a cotton ball, your palms, spray bottle, roller bottle, or a blank inhaler to carry in your purse or pocket for quick relief.
Find More Essential Oil Recipes Here On My Pinterest Board
To make a personalized inhaler purchase these blank inhaler tubes on Amazon(or the ones in the photo) and add the essential oils to the cotton piece in the nasal tube.
Add 2-15 drops of oil to the tube depending on the strength you want or follow one of these recipes.
The great thing about making these inhalers is that you can refresh them at any time.
Inhaler Recipe #1
- 7 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 4 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 4 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
Inhaler Recipe #2
- 5 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 4 Drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Fennel Essential Oil
- 3 Drops Cardamon Essential Oil
Inhaler Recipe #3
We love orange essential oil so and found this recipe on Wendypolisi.com.
- 7 drops Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 7 drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- 2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
Roller Bottle Recipes
Roller bottle blends are easy to make and take with you just like the inhalers.
Get roller bottles (buy on amazon) then add one of these oil combinations to your bottle and fill the rest of the way with fractionated coconut oil or almond oil.
Roll on your wrists, back of the neck, or clockwise on the stomach.
Travel Buddy Roller Bottle Recipe
- 5 drops Head Soothing Essential Oil Blend (get it here)
- 1 drop Anise Star Essential Oil
Essential Oil Roller Bottle Recipe For Nausea Recipe #2
- 8 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 7 drops Ginger Essential Oil
Essential Oil Roller Bottle Recipe For Nausea Recipe #3
- 10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 10 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
Car and Motion Sickness Spray Recipe
I discovered this recipe at Biosorcenaturals.com.
- 1 tablespoon Fractioned Coconut Oil
- 5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Lime Essential Oil
- 2 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- Add essential oils to a spray bottle.
- Fill the rest of the way with water.
- Shake before use.
Spray on wrists, neck, temples, or above the navel.
Car and Motion Sickness Car Diffuser Recipe
Hercel at gymcraftlaundry.com shared this awesome blend to use in a car diffuser.
Car diffusers (get one like this) are great because they can help everyone in the car. If motion sickness isn’t an issue diffusing oils in the car might help with attitudes, too. 🙂
Add these oils to your car diffuser:
- 2 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 drop Spearmint Essential Oil
- 1 drop of Almond oil
Where To Get Your Essential Oils
There are many reputable companies that sell essential oils and I have a drawer full of them. The last oils I bought were from Simply Earth and you can find others in my Amazon Shop.
Check out my Amazon Shop for more oils and accessories
Tips To Avoid Motion Sickness
1. Face Forward: If your child is old enough forward-facing is the best way to avoid getting sick in the car.
2. Avoid Reading Or Looking At Your Phone While Riding: I love to read in the car but neither of my daughters can without feeling sick. We opt for audios on tape to pass the time. We’ve gotten many free ones from our local library.
3. Avoid Fatty And Greasy Foods: Stick to foods like crackers, bread, or bananas if you or your child needs a snack. You may have to experiment to see what works best for you or your child.
4. Apply or inhale your favorite oils about 30 minutes before you plan to be in the car, plane, or boat to help avoid feeling sick. Have your oils ready to use as needed during your trip.
Give Essential Oils For Car Sickness A Chance
You may have to experiment until you find which oil works best to help you or a family member avoid motion sickness.
When you find the right oil you will be so relieved to have a healthy alternative to ease the discomfort.
Plan ahead and be prepared so when the travel time comes around you’ll be confident that motion sickness won’t put a damper on the ride.
You Might Also Like:
How To Use Essential Oils For Stress
Over 11 Ways To Clean Your Home With Essential Oils
21 Skin Care Recipes Using Essential Oils