I will be the first to admit I’ve been a bit neglectful of my hands and nails over the last few years.
I used to have time to worry about nail polish, my cuticles, and moisturizing my hands but the more my girls need me the less I have time to put into extra beauty routines.
Can you relate?
It wasn’t until last year when I started using Color Street Nails that I thought about the condition of my cuticles.
Thankfully, because I’ve been taking collagen (read over 26,000 reviews here) regularly my nails have stayed strong but my cuticles were still a little dry especially after using nail polish remover.
Since I’ve got a drawer full of essential oils I thought I would find some DIY nail serums to try and share with you.
Top Essential Oils For Your Nails and Cuticles
Top of the list for best oils for your nails is lavender essential oil.
No surprise there since lavender is good for so many things.
Combine it with jojoba oil and you’ve got a simple yet powerful nail strengthener for weak and brittle nails when you apply it daily.
Other oils with strengthening properties include lemon, frankincense, and myrrh.
Those oils restore moisture to reduce breakage and thinning.
Other plant oils you could try are almond oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, or coconut oil to help heal dry cracked cuticles and nails.
Massage anyone of those oils into your nails and cuticles daily or before bedtime.
Need essential oils? Get pure and affordable essential oils from Simply Earth
Use The Right Type Of Nail Polish Remover
You can moisturize your cuticles daily but if you use the wrong polish remover you’re working against yourself.
Nail polish removers with acetone and alcohol can dry your nails and cuticles.
My favorite non-toxic brand is Karma Naturals (read the reviews on Amazon).Nontoxic Nail Polish Remover
It contains organic lavender & soybean oil but if you don’t like the smell of lavender you can try their tea tree and non-scented formulas.
DIY Nail Strengthening and Cuticle Serums Using Essential Oils
Here are some recipes you can try to help keep your cuticles moisturized and strengthen your nails.
Wash your hands with a natural soap then apply the serum to your cuticles and nail beds.
Massage into your nails before bed.
Nail Strengthening Serum Recipe #1
1 1/4 teaspoon Jojoba Oil
1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
5 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
5 Drops Lemon Essential Oil
5 Drops Frankincense Essential Oil
5 Drops Myrrh Essential Oil
Put the ingredients into a roller bottle and shake before using.
Buy Your Essential Oils Here
Nail Strengthening Serum #2
From Loving Essential Oils
- 1 oz Dropper Bottle
- 15 drops of Lavender Essential oil
- 15 drops of Myrrh Essential oil
- Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 2 Vitamin E Oil Capsules
- Add essential oils to 1 oz. dropper bottle
- Cut vitamin E capsules open and squeeze into the bottle
- Fill the remaining space of the bottle with fractionated coconut oil (you could use jojoba or avocado oil instead)
- Screw the lid on and shake to combine
DIY Cuticle Oil #1
- Almond Oil or Jojoba Oil
- Lemon or Lavender Essential Oil
- optional Vitamin E Oil
- empty nail polish bottle
DIY Cuticle Oil #2
From Simply Earth
- 2 tbsp Almond Oil
- 2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 1 drop Palmarosa Essential Oil
- 1 oz container
- Add all ingredients to 1 oz container, close, and swirl to mix for at least 30 seconds.
- To use, apply oil to cuticles and nails to moisturize, improve the appearance, and stimulate growth.
DIY Nail Growing Oil Recipe
Whipped Green Girl has a recipe for helping your nails grow that will also soften your cuticles, too.
Watch her video to learn how she makes it and the specific reasons she uses each ingredient.
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Moringa Oil (Flaxseed Oil is another great option too!)
- 1 Freshly Squeezed Orange
- 1 tbsp Dead Sea Salts
- 2 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- several drops of Vitamin-E Oil
- Mix all ingredients in a glass bowl- essential oils LAST (avoid aluminum or plastic bowl)
- Soak fingers for 15 to 20min in the mixture
- Follow-up with a good hand moisturizer
Whip up one of these recipes to help strengthen your nails and soften your cuticles.
If you try any of the DIY Serums let me know how they work for you.
Other Post You Might Enjoy:
100 Easy and Practical Essential Oil Uses and Recipes
What Are Color Street Nails
Is Your Nail Polish Toxic