This post may include affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I’ll earn a small fee at no extra cost to you.
I’ve seen several commercials lately for fabric disinfectant spray that make me cringe.
Because the ingredients in most fabric sprays are toxic and they do nothing to help your immune system or kill viruses.
You sure don’t want to be spraying it on your face mask because you’ll be inhaling toxins!
According to the Environmental Working Group typical air and fabric freshening sprays contain ingredients that may:
- Act as hormone disruptors
- Increase your chances of developing asthma in healthy people
- Increase your chances of developing cancer
- Irritate your skin
Before I knew better I sprayed Febreeze on everything stinky in my house.
The dog’s bed, smelly shoes, moldy smelling carpets, etc.
Then I got pregnant and learned about toxins.
Fast forward 12 years and I’m using a variety of essential oils to freshen all the stinky things I used to spray Febreeze on.
Why Use Essential Oils?
After using a diffuser for a while I decided why not look for some recipes to use these oils in that I could spray on stinky things.
Essential oils are known for their ability to kill germs and boost the immune system so why not use them instead of nasty fabric sprays that do nothing but add to your chances of getting ill rather than boosting your health.
Plus, they are cheaper.
Just looking for the recipes?
Skip on past the 9 best oils for spray recipes you can use in your shoes, on your mattress, pillows, couches, and masks!
Please note: This information, recipes, and products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. It is in no way intended to replace proper medical help. These are simply things that have worked for me personally or I’ve researched for myself.
**Toxic-Free Options Without Essential Oils**
If you’re looking for a way to kill germs on surfaces, fabrics, and in the air but don’t want to use essential oils look into these toxic-free options.
Need Essential Oils?
The 2 places I get oils right now are:
- Isagenix – 50% off plus free shipping when you order on subscription. (cancel it when your oils arrive)
- Simply Earth Subscription Box – Buy your subscription box at a deep discount with my code AND Simply Earth will send you a $45 gift card to use on your 2nd order placed at their site. Use code STACYRUSSELLFREE at checkout.
Read my Simply Earth review here.
9 Top Essential Oils That May Kill Viruses And Bacteria
These oils can be used in your DIY fabric spray, household cleaners, and diffuser.
Not only will they make things smell better but they may also kill off bacteria and viruses that may cause you to get sick.
1. Tea Tree (Melaleuca) Essential Oil
Has been researched and shown to have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.
Studies show it may inhibit influenza virus entry into the host cell and can be used as a natural disinfectant to kill germs on surfaces and in the air.
This independent experiment showed that it makes a great cleaner when mixed with castile soap.
2. Frankincense Essential Oil
Because of its antiseptic properties, some studies suggest that Frankincense can kill bacteria and viruses, and support healthy immune function in your overall health.
3. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Just a few drops into the air can help kill germs, relieve cough and clear sinuses.
It has antimicrobial effects against many bacteria, including MRSA, viruses, and fungi.
4. Thyme Essential Oil
The constituents in thyme oil may protect from bacteria. According to the International Journal of Food Microbiology, thyme essential oil is potent enough to inhibit salmonella.
5. Lemon Essential Oil
It is thought that regular use of lemon oil cleaners around the house can help lower the chances of bacterial infections.
According to research, lemon essential oil is strong enough to inhibit the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes.
6. Peppermint Essential Oil
Showed the best antibacterial activity against C. difficile. C.difficile is a bacterium that thrives in toilets, bathtubs, and other objects that may be in contact with feces.
7. Orange Essential Oil
Studies show the essential oil components of orange peels have antimicrobial activity.
8. Cinnamon Essential Oil
According to a recent 2018 study cinnamon essential oil and its constituents successfully inhibit bacteria by damaging their cell membrane.
9. Clove Essential Oil
Research shows that E.coli, acne-causing Staph aureus, and pneumonia-causing Pseudomonas aeurignosa are especially sensitive to clove essence.
Best Premade Blends For Germ Fighting
These are 3 premade blends I have personally used in my fabric sprays. If you don’t have essential oils but wish to make your own fabric spray you can buy these blends instead of buying single oils.
- Isagenix Defense Shield (get it here – 50% off plus free shipping will show in the cart – order on subscription then cancel it.)
- Simply Earth Defender Immune Boost Blend (get it here)
*If you order the subscription box at Simply Earth use code “STACYRUSSELLFREE” to get a $45 rebate on your 2nd order.*
Your Toxin Exposure Does Matter
If you were like me at first you may not think these household toxins affect your health. But they do.
It may show up as a lack of energy, inability to lose weight, or allergies.
Some of us may not see immediate health issues but at some point, most of us will.
Just imagine what they can do to a growing child!
If that Febreeze commercial is still running then there are many families still using it in their homes.
Related: DIY Lysol Disinfectant Spray
Pin It For Later 📌
DIY Homemade Disinfectant Fabric Spray Recipes
To make your own homemade fabric or air freshening spray you’ll need a spray bottle (it’s best to use glass), essential oils, plus ingredients you probably already have in your home.
My favorite essential oils to use are Lemon, Tea Tree, or Frankincense because of their ability to kill germs and I like the way they smell.
If you prefer you can select one of the premade blends I mentioned above to make it even simpler.
Nifty Tip: If you don’t have a glass spray bottle you can use an old apple cider vinegar bottle plus the sprayer from your glass cleaner.
Essential Oil Diffuser
Spray on fabrics to subdue the stink and provide natural immune-building properties for everyone in your home.
Basic Homemade Fabric Refresher Spray Recipe
- 16 oz Spray Bottle (get it here)
- Purified or Distilled Water
- 1 Cup Vinegar or 1 Cup Rubbing Alcohol or 1 Cup Witch Hazel (get it here)
- 10-24 drops of your Favorite Essential Oil
1. Use a funnel to add the liquids to the bottle. Vinegar, vodka, or witch hazel first then fill the rest of the way with water
2. Shake well to combine
3. Add in essential oils
4. Shake well before use
Related: How To Use Essential Oils When Your Travel
Homemade Mattress Spray Recipe
- 8 Drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 8 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 8 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- Witch Hazel
- Add oils to 2 oz glass spray bottle
- Fill the rest of the way with half witch hazel and half water.
- Shake and spray on the mattress as needed.
Pin It For Later 📌
DIY Mask Spray Recipes
Now that we’ve all been wearing our masks for a while who else is tired of them besides me? I don’t have to wear them all day like some people so anytime I wear mine they stress me out.
So, I’ve either been dabbing on a few oils or spritzing the sides of my mask before I go out with at least lavender but usually some mix of oils that help with stress or boost immunity.
Note: I wash my mask after every use.
The Simply Earth mask spray recipe below with lavender & lemon is a simple combination that smells great or you could just dab some drops on your mask as in the video below.
Find other recipes and buy your oils at Simply Earth (don’t forget to check for my Simply Earth discounts at the bottom of this post)
- 3 tbsp alcohol (for best results use 151 proof (~75% ethanol) alcohol)
- 10 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 tbsp distilled water
- 2 oz spray bottle (aluminum, glass, or PET grade plastic)
Add alcohol and essential oils to the spray bottle. Shake to mix. Fill the rest of the way with distilled water. Spray onto both sides of the mask.
There is more information about aromatherapy for masks in this video below.
Refresh Clothes Spray Recipe (& Sports Gear)
antibacterial clothes spray
This recipe uses Ho Wood essential oil which I’m just learning about.
The floral and woody-smelling Ho Wood essential oil has become a popular replacement for Rosewood essential oil. It is used for calming the nerves, supporting the immune system, and aids in muscle aches.
- 2 tbs distilled water
- 2 tbs witch hazel
- 8 Drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 5 HoWood Essential Oil (get it here)
DIY Homemade Pillow Spray Recipe
Use this spray on your pillows to help you sleep at night.
If you’ve never tried spraying essential oils on your pillow at night then try Lavender essential oil first. If lavender doesn’t work for you then try this recipe.
- 3 ½ tbsp water
- ½ tbsp Everclear
- 10 drops Vetiver Essential Oil
- 10 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 20 drops Mandarin Essential Oil
- 2 oz spray bottle
- Mix water and Everclear in 2 oz bottle.
- Add each essential oil.
- Shake vigorously to blend.
Pin It For Later 📌
Sleepy Pillow Spray Recipe – Premade Blend
Sometimes it’s just as easy to use a premade blend in your DIY sprays.
Simply Earth’s Sleepy Blend smells great and is easy to use.
If you don’t feel like making the spray just add a few drops to a tissue and leave it near your pillow.
Note: The solubilizer is an all-natural emulsifier that allows the essential oil to evenly disperse within a water-based mixure.
- 12 drops Sleepy Essential Oil Blend (get it at Simply Earth here)
- 36 drops solubilizer (get it at Simply Earth here)
- ¼ cup distilled water
- 2 oz spray bottle
- In a small bowl, make a premix by adding essential oils and solubilizer (pausing every 12 drops to stir thoroughly).
- While stirring, slowly add the water to the premix.
- Pour mixture into a spray bottle and label.
- To use, spray on pillows during your nighttime routine. Breathe deep to support calmness.
Pin It For Later 📌
Simply Earth Subscription Box Full Of Everything You Need
If you are new to oils or just want to try something different then check out the Simply Earth Subscription Box.
Use my code STACYRUSSELLFREE to get a $40 gift card emailed to you after subscribing to your first box (subscription can be canceled anytime) and FREE shipping.
Each box is a $100+ value compared to the big essential oil companies. Plus, you get a FREE Big Bonus Box your first month when you subscribe today.
(you can read my Simply Earth Reviews here)
Christmas Tree Room And Fabric Spray
You can use this to make your room or fabric smell like Christmas.
More Christmas blends here
- 3 drops Douglas Fir Essential Oil
- 3 drops White Fir Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cypress Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 1 tbs witch hazel
- Add drops to a 1 oz spray bottle.
- Add 1 tablespoon of witch hazel, and fill to the top with distilled water.
- Shake before using.
What Do You Think?
Will you be making your own fabric spray?
Have another recipe you use? Share it with me.
Use These Essential Oils As Bug Repellent
Discover Over 100 Uses For Your Essential Oils
Can Essential Oils Help You With Weight Loss