If you’re struggling with an ailment, looking to boost your hair’s moisture and shine, attempting to soften your skin, dealing with congestion, or creating your own DIY products, Eucalyptus Essential Oil may be the next essential oil you need to purchase.
Still need to buy Eucalyptus Oil? Check out my Amazon Shop for my latest essential oil finds
What is Eucalyptus Essential Oil Used For?
Eucalyptus Essential Oil is used for a number of health problems first and foremost.
A common ingredient in natural medicines, the uses of this plant span the full gamut.
Here are 8 of the top uses for Eucalyptus essential oil:
An anti-inflammatory, eucalyptus can work wonders when it comes to nasty infections.
It is also an analgesic (pain killer), an antibacterial, and it is anti-infectious, meaning it has all the makings of effective medication for different types of infections that may plague the body.
Of course, eucalyptus oil should never be ingested or applied straight to your skin.
It should be diluted with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or almond oil.
2. Upset Stomach
As a painkiller, diluted eucalyptus oil can be rubbed on your skin to soothe upset and sour stomachs.
Eucalyptus oil has been known to help loosen tight coughs and clear out phlegm following a cold.
As an antiviral, it works well against colds and flu.
Usually, it’s used in a diffuser or massaged into the chest.
4. Respiratory Tract Infections and Problems
The leaf and oil are also used to treat respiratory tract infections, asthma, pulmonary tuberculosis, and whooping cough.
It can also be used as a preventative measure to maintain sinus health.
A natural astringent, eucalyptus oil is also used to treat acne and oily skin.
The clean, cooling effect of eucalyptus oil helps to soothe pain from burns and encourages the healing of wounds.
7. Soreness and Inflammation
For sore muscles, joint pain, and arthritis, eucalyptus oil is a lifesaver.
The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties help it soothe and reduce pain.
When added to a bath, it can soothe sore muscles and melt away stress, stiffness, and tenderness.
The painkilling properties in eucalyptus oil also work well with fevers and the symptoms they bring.
Body aches, headaches, weakness, and tenderness can be reduced and improved with the help of this essential oil.
Related: DIY Lysol Recipe To Disinfect Your Home With Essential Oils
Top Ways To Use Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil can be used in a number of ways based on what you’re using it for.
In Your Bath
One of the main ways it is used is in the bath as a shower gel or soap. Dilute the pure oil with sweet almond oil or coconut oil, and add 10 to 14 drops directly to your warm bath.
In Your Diffuser
Diffusing eucalyptus oil in an office, classroom, or in the home is a good way to improve the blood-brain connection and clear sinuses.Car Essential Oil Diffuser
Diffusers are inexpensive on Amazon. (this one is my favorite).
Grab it if you see it under $20 since you can’t have too many diffusers especially if you have children.
Also, if you are in the car a lot, you might consider getting a car diffuser especially if you suffer from allergies or for when you have congestion.
As A Massage Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is also commonly used as a massage oil.
It is great for sore muscles and relieving stress and can even help improve blood circulation to the brain, giving you the ability to think clearly and calmly.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil Recipes For You To Try
Here are several blends and recipes to help you get started using your Eucalyptus Essential Oil.
Always use pure toxic-free essential oils as you are directly inhaling or using these oils on your body.
You can find pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil at Simply Earth or Isagenix.
*I am an affiliate for both companies. The price will not change for you but I will get a commission to help support this site.
Best Sweet Almond OilOrganic Coconut OilInhaler TubesEssential Oil Diffuser
1. Soothe A Cough and Congestion
Try using it one of these ways to soothe your cough and congestion:
- Diffuse Eucalyptus Essential Oil in your favorite diffuser (this is a good one)
- A a few drops to an inhaler tube (get them here) then breathe in as needed.
- Mix Eucalyptus Essential Oil with 1 TBSP of coconut oil and rub on chest and feet before bedtime.
2. Pain Relieving Massage Oil Blend
- 8 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 8 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 8 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 Tbsp Grapeseed Carrier Oil (get it here)
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Almond Carrier Oil
- Combine all ingredients inside a glass bottle or jar.
- Replace the bottle cap and shake well to thoroughly blend all oils.
- To use, dispense up to 1 Tbsp of the blend into the palm of your hand and massage into affected areas.
Click here for the top 27 essential oils for pain including recipes
3. Hot Oil Treatment Blend for Nourishing and Strengthening Your Hair
This hair treatment can be applied once a week or once every 3 days.
- 4-5 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Jojoba Oil (get it here)
- In a small pan, mix together the Coconut Oil and the Jojoba Oil. Heat until it is warm enough but can still be touched. Don’t boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and, using a spoon, mix in the Eucalyptus Essential Oil.
- Using the fingertips, massage the oil blend into the scalp.
- Leave the oil in the hair for 15 mins before washing it off.
Related: How To Use Coconut Oil For Your Hair
4. Itchy Scalp Relief
- 6-8 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- ½ to 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- In a plastic cup dilute the Apple Cider Vinegar in the water and add the Eucalyptus Essential Oil.
- After shampooing your hair massage blend into your hair and scalp, especially the ends of the hair.
- Let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse your hair with water. Any lingering vinegar smell should go away when your hair dries.
Related: Essential Oil Uses In Your Beauty Routine
5. Cold Sore Prevention or Relief
If you feel a cold sore coming on or need relief try this recipe.
- 1 drop Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 1 drop Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 2-3 drops Coconut Oil
Mix all of the above and apply it to the sore 3-4 times a day. Speed up healing and feel instant cooling pain relief!
Related: Discover 100 More Practical and Easy Uses For Essential Oil
6. Reduce A Fever
Here are the top 2 ways to use Eucalyptus Oil to help reduce a fever.
In a small dish or bowl combine 3-5 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil with one teaspoon coconut oil or almond oil and rub into the temples, back of the neck and bottoms of feet.
Repeat every 15-20 minutes until the temperature goes down.
Note: For children, modify the blend to a ratio of 1 drop of eucalyptus oil to 1 teaspoon carrier oil and apply the blend only to the bottom of the feet.
Eucalyptus helps to break the fever and lavender assists in calming and relaxation.
- Mix 1 drop of Eucalyptus Essential Oil and 3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil in 1 cup of chilled water.
- Soak a small towel or washcloth into the water
- Apply it to the forehead.
* If a fever goes over 103 degrees or there are other symptoms you are concerned about, please consult a doctor and seek medical attention.
Caution: Side Effects and Possible Poisoning
Eucalyptus oil should never be taken orally or applied directly to the skin unless safely diluted.
When you use it for the first time use it sparingly and take note of how you react to it. If you have family members or pets in the house also be sure they aren’t having issues with it.
Eucalyptus poisoning presents itself a little differently so watch out for these symptoms:
- Suffocation feeling/Difficulty breathing
- Small pupils
If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your doctor straight away.
I would love to hear from you. Let me know if this was helpful and how you use Eucalyptus Essential Oil.