Cozy sweaters, crackling fire, and a cup of hot chocolate are sure shot indicators that the best season of the year is here.
However, with the winter season comes cold, flu, fever, congestion, hair fall, itchy scalp, muscle pain, dry skin, and whatnot.
Aromatherapy is the best choice for all of the above, especially if you want to take the natural route to remedy.
Note: The blends and recipes I’ve posted here will work with Doterra, Young Living, Simply Earth, Isagenix, or any toxic-free essential oil brand you have on hand.
Aromatherapy is a plant-based medical treatment that uses essences and essential oils (aromatic plant extracts).
This discipline is in use for ages and is a simple and affordable daily method to keep various ailments at bay.
The oils used in this technique come with pleasant aromas, and you can inhale, diffuse, or apply them directly to your skin.
While using essential oils on your skin, it is always a wise idea to dilute them with a carrier oil (some of the best carrier oils here).
These plant-based oils do not just help you but reinforce the natural defenses of the various organ systems present in your body and highly beneficial, especially during the winters.
Must-Have Essential Oils For A Healthy Winter
Here are some of the best essential oils you must have on hand during the chilling winter months:
1. Lemon Essential Oil
This essential oil smells refreshing and offers all-round benefits ranging from skincare to home hygiene.
From antifungal and antiseptic properties to detoxifying and astringent effects, this Citrus Limon plant oil has all.
How to Use It?
- Add a few drops of this refreshing essential oil to a diffuser and elevate your mood instantly.
- If you mix some drops of this essential oil with your facial cleanser, you can get rid of dead skin.
- You can combat flu and fatigue with it by adding it to any massage oil.
- A few lemon oil drops with jojoba oil can help you eliminate dandruff and itchy scalp.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
This essential oil is a winter cabinet essential due to its antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic properties.
This fragrant oil is further rich in methanol that can help eliminate any discomfort and provide you a soothing sensation.
How to Use It?
- Mix some drops of this methanol-rich essential oil with any massage oil to soothe sore muscles.
- To get rid of general nausea, massage a few drops of this oil on your stomach and abdomen.
- If you rub this oil on your forehead, it can also help you ease headaches.
- In case of cold and flu, massage a few drops of this oil onto your chest.
- Add a few drops to a diffuser
Read more about Peppermint Essential Oil here
3. Cannabis Flower Essential Oil
From treating difficult pain during winters to fighting depression and anxiety, CBD oil can help you in numerous ways. The extremely efficient Cannabis flower essential oil smells sharp, herbaceous, and slightly spicy and is known for its potential antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic action.
Cannabidiol is also available as CBD Cream, spray, edibles, and various other forms.
How to Use It?
- Add a few drops of this oil in baking recipes to treat insomnia and induce appetite.
- Apply a few drops of this oil under the tongue for instant health benefits.
- Add this essential oil to smoothies to get rid of its spicy, earthy taste and fight chemotherapy symptoms.
- A few drops on the oil with a massage oil can help ease period pain.
4. Lavender Essential Oil
Who doesn’t like the soothing scent of lavender? A derivative of the lavender plant, this essential oil has antidepressant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
It is skin-friendly and helps you treat your gloomy winter days readily.
How to Use It?
- In the case of congestion, add a few drops of this oil to your humidifier to ease it instantly.
- Lavender oil, along with any carrier oil, can help you treat hair fall in winters.
- A whiff of this essential oil can help you treat a pounding headache.
- When you mix almond oil or coconut oil with this essential oil and apply it to your skin, you can give it that much-needed extra hydration during winters.
Read more about Lavender Essential Oil here
5. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
If you are among those who fall sick often during winters, this oil is a boon for you.
This essential oil has multiple medicinal properties. Some of these are – anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, decongestant, antibacterial, antispasmodic, insecticidal, and much more.
How to Use It?
- If you suffer from cold and congestion during winters, add a few drops of this oil to boiling water and practice steam inhalation.
- In the case of an itchy scalp, mix eucalyptus oil in jojoba or almond oil and massage it to your scalp.
- A few drops of this anti-inflammatory oil in a hot bath can help relax your sore muscles.
- If you have a fever, mix this oil with any carrier oil and apply it on the back of the neck, bottom of your feet, and forehead.
Read more about Eucalyptus Essential Oil here
6. Sweet Orange Essential Oil
This essential oil is the most suited for a healthy and relaxing home atmosphere during winters.
It is naturally antiseptic, and you are sure to love its pleasant orange scent.
Along with purifying your home with a diffuser, the sweet orange essential oil can relieve stress and anxiety, promote sleep, and calm the nervous system.
How to Use It?
- For a peaceful sleep, add a few drops of this oil with lavender oil to your diffuser.
- Sweet orange oil, along with Geranium and Eucalyptus essential oil, can help you treat and prevent ENT illnesses.
- A few drops of the oil with any massage oil can help relieve cough, cold, and sinusitis.
- Mix sweet orange essential oil with jojoba oil or olive oil to eliminate acne and skin ailments during winters.
Read more about Citrus Essential Oil here
Best Essential Oils To Buy If You Are New To Oils
Although there are many really good essential oils on the market there is one brand that is really good for beginners and that’s Simply Earth.
It’s actually not just the essential oils themselves but how you get started with them.
Simply Earth has a subscription box that enables you to get oils just right for the season.
So during the winter, Simply Earth has a box for the holidays, and other times you might get great spring essential oils or oils for cleaning.
The subscription box includes 4 full-size essential oils, recipes, and all the accessories you need to use your oils.
Check out the Simply Earth Subscription box here and use code STACYRUSSELLFREE to get a $40 rebate to use on your second order.
Read some of my Simply Earth reviews here
Winter Diffuser Blend Recipes
The following recipes include the essential oils above plus some others you’ll recognize.
Remember, as with all essential oils and blends you will need to experiment to see what works for you.
If it doesn’t smell good or you don’t feel better after a few minutes of diffusing it then pour it out and start over.
Get more Winter Holiday Diffuser blends here
Related: Top 6 Essential Oils Everyone Should Own
Related: 101 Essential Oil Uses and Recipes
Related: Learn how to beat winter dryness and have glowing skin with liquid marine collagen
Do you use essential oils? What are your favorites?